As the name suggest ultrasound uses very high frequency sound. The human ear can usually detect sound from 20Hz to 20,000Hz. Most medical ultrasound machines use frequencies from about 2,000,000 to 15,000,000Hz.
A beam of sound wave is directed into the area of interest in the body. As the sound hits various tissues there is some reflection of this sound which is then detected by the machine to produce an image.
Ultrasounds have been in use in medical imaging since the 1960’s. To date, there has been no conclusive proof of any deleterious effect at the power levels used for medical imaging. Ultrasound has also been used extensively in obstetric (pregnancy) imaging again with no evidence of any harmful effects.
Other common uses for ultrasound are for imaging of the abdominal and pelvic organs as well as scanning of various muscles, tendons and ligaments. It is also used in assessing various arteries and veins in the body.
Depending on the type of examination, some patient preparation may be required such as fasting or having a full bladder. Other examinations however may not need any special preparation.
At Lime Radiology, we offer a comprehensive ultrasound service which includes but is not limited to the following:
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Pelvic ultrasound
- Urinary (renal) ultrasound
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound including shoulders, knees and many others
- Vascular ultrasound including DVT studies, carotid artery, arm and leg vein and arterial scans
- Pregnancy ultrasound including 1st trimester, nuchal translucency, 10-20 week morphology and third trimester scans.
- Testicular ultrasound
- Ultrasound of superficial lesion
- Paediatric (children) imaging including hip ultrasound
The list above is not exhaustive and the service you require may be available but not listed. Please contact us for further information.